Date:      Fri, 19 Jun 1998 13:46:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dave Cole <dacole@netcom.ca>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sio problem

On Fri, 19 Jun 1998, Open Systems Networking wrote:

-To get rid of the SIO overflow problems try lowering your port speed.
-I dont know what your trying to connect at, but say if your connecting at
-115,000 try 57,600, if your connecting with 57,600 try something lower.
-Keep going lower till those overflows dissapear.

You've missed the point.  The sio overflow problem isn't caused by
data coming in too fast.  The sio buffer just isn't flushing, it
seems.  I did try a slower speed initially but it doesn't matter what
speed it runs at; if the buffer isn't flushed, the next nugget of data
that comes in from the port overwrites what's sitting in the buffer
and thus the sio overflow.

For reference, this serial port is connected to an ISDN TA and is
often doing a 2B (128k) connection to my ISP.

Dave Cole (DC1110)                     |        dacole@netcom.ca
Systems Administrator                  |*       dacole@rik.net *
                                       |         office/~dacole/
Netcom Canada                          |* www.rik.net/~dacole/ *
905 King Street West, Toronto, M6K 3G9 |    phone - 416.341.5801
Toronto, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Sol   |      fax - 416.341.5725