Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 95 12:33:45 -0700
From:      Terry Lee <terryl@cs.stanford.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hacker's Choice for Hardware

I'm compiling a list of hardware recommended for FreeBSD.  FreeBSD supports a
wide variety of hardware.  This is great for those who want to install FreeBSD
on thier existing systems, but it's overwhelming for those who are shopping for
new hardware specifically for a FreeBSD system.

I'd like to compile a list of the top 1-4 recommendations for each category of
hardware.  This way, buyers can look into a handful of possibilities rather
than the long list of supported hardware.

If you are an avid FreeBSD user and have installed, used, and/or tested various
hardware products, please e-mail me your submissions with comments to
terryl@cs.stanford.edu.  I will compile a list and post the results.  I will
also submit the results for inclusion in the FreeBSD Web site.

I suggest the following criteria for evaluation and comments:

  Compatibility - should be rock solid with the least amount of installation
                  issues e.g. 3c509 card is out
  Performance - please provide any specs you have or tests you may have
                performed, are performance features supported
  Price - please provide a street price and source
  Reliability - does it break down, is there good service and waranty
  Features - any special features or functionality

Current submissions (just the beginning of course):

  Motherboards/CPUs:

    ASUS motherboards (which ones?):
      PCI/I-486SP3G - 486 motherboard w/ on board NCR 53C810 PCI SCSI
Controller
         Street Price?
      Pentium Boards?

  ISA Ethernet:

    SMC Elite Ultra $95 (the clear choice?)

  PCI Ethernet:

    SMC, Compex or DEC DC21040 based ethernet
       Specific models?  Prices?  Details

  PCI Video:

    #9 GXE 64Pro

  PCI SCSI controllers:

    Adaptec 2940

More categories:

  ISA Video
  ISA SCSI controllers
  CD-ROMS
  Sound Cards
  I/O Cards
  SCSI Hard Drives
  IDE Hard Drives
  Mouse Hardware
  what else?

Perhaps a list of what to avoid is in order also.  I've had lost of troubles
with HP Vectras, specifically the VL2 (IDE problems) and the XP/60 (S3 video
problems).

Hope to hear from you all,

Terry

--
I N T E R N E T        Terry Lee, Technical Director
D E S I G N            745 Stanford Avenue, Palo Alto, California 94306