Date:      Mon, 04 Jan 1999 07:59:27 -0800
From:      Tamiji Homma <thomma@BayNetworks.COM>
To:        mike@smith.net.au
Cc:        rjlynn@rjlynn.ddns.org, FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IDE Problem

> > I'm just starting out on -Current and heard theres been a problem with wd
> > disks since Christmas, is that true?
>
> No.  There's an outstanding problem with secondary IDE channels on some
> motherboards, but the problem has been with us for quite some time.

As just datapoint, two of my systems started having wd timeout
problem sometime around Christmas.  It has been working for about
year or so with DMA on.  The system are:

FIC PA-2007
wd0: Quantum 6.4G Fireball (flags was 0xb0ff, yes LBA is on, now 0x90ff)
wd1: none
wd2: Maxtor 11G DiamondMax (flags was 0xa0ff, and it is 0xa0ff)
wd3: Mitsumi IDE CDROM

FIC PA-2007
wd0: IBM 6.4G Deskstar (flags 0xa0ff, it is 0x80ff) boot disk
wd1: none
wd2: none
wd3: none
ccd0: 2.1G x 2 on NCR 875

Sometime after Christmas, I had to turn off DMA on wd0 to bring up
the system.  The kernel before Christmas (mid December 1998) doesn't
have this problem.  Funny thing is that wd2 Maxtor doesn't show
the problem even though it shares the bus with old IDE CDROM.

Tammy