Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2000 23:41:07 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
To:        mike <g434g434@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FRUSTRADED! Shoot me?

On 10/24/00, 11:06:54 PM, mike <g434g434@yahoo.com> wrote regarding=20
FRUSTRADED! Shoot me?:

<snip>

Dear Mike,=20

Are you sure you have properly configured your system (mergemaster=20
step in /usr/src/UPDATING) ?=20

> whoah! I get a login prompt that says

> FreeBSD/i386 (amnesiac)
> Login:

AFAIR, "Amnesiac" indicates that your hostname is not properly=20
defined/configured. This calls for a double or even triple check of=20
your whole configuration.

> Ok, so now for the heck of it I login with my normal
> user and attempt 'startx'.

> I get the error message as both root/user

> Authentication Failed - Cannot start X server.
> Perhaps you do not have console ownership?

I saw this error a few months ago, when I upgraded to=20
4-(then)-CURRENT. Since my configuration files WERE correct, I simply=20
rebuilt XFree, and the problems faded away.

HTH,
Salvo