Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 1997 09:07:14 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        Rick Morel <rmorel@morelr.com>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: INN Question

On Tue, 29 Jul 1997, Rick Morel wrote:

> Gary Palmer wrote:
>
> >Did you shut inn down cleanly? It sounds like you just rebooted
> >without giving inn a chance to sync its incore datastructures
> >successfully to disk.
> >

> Ka-Booongggg. That must be it. I have seen references to "shut down cleanly"
> somewhere.
>
> Yes, I simply did a "shutdown -r now" to reboot.
>
> Rather than search out and experiment, can you give the proper way to shut
> inn down before a reboot?
>
> It looks like "ctlinnd  shutdown reason..." from doing "ctlinnd -h", but
> what "reason"????

ctlinnd shutdown "because I think the moon is made of green cheese"

It is just a message that is logged as a reason for the shutdown.
It matters more for things like throttle and pause where you need the same
message (or an empty one using something like '') to get the server
running again.  shutdown just needs something.