Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 2000 19:24:55 -0700
From:      Dave Unger <dunger@keynote.com>
To:        "'freebsd-stable@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Fw: FreeBSD not seeing long file names on UT CD

Is anyone aware of an update to the CD9660 driver in FreeBSD 4.1-STABLE?  I
can't get my FreeBSD box to read the long file names on a retail copy of
Unreal Tournament, and I'm not the only one having this problem.

When I mount my FreeBSD distribution CD, the RockRidge extensions fire up,
and I can see long file names.  When I mount my Quake 3 Arena CD, the Joliet
extensions fire up, and I can see the long file names on it.  So I know my
kernel has the right options included.  When I mount the UT disk, though,
neither set of extensions loads.  I've tried using both "mount /cdrom" and
"/sbin/mount_cd9660 /dev/acd0c /cdrom".

If I can't find another workaround, I'll have to convert my box to Linux,
and I really don't want to.

Please help!

-DaveU

"Dave Unger" <dunger@keynote.com> wrote:
>I can't get FreeBSD 4.1-STABLE to see the long file names on the CD.
>
>When I "mount /cdrom" with the FreeBSD 4.1 distribution CD in place, it
>gives a message "/kernel:  cd9660:  RockRidgeExtension" and all the long
>file names work, so I know my kernel supports RockRidge extensions.
>
>When I give the same mount command with the UT CD in place, I don't get the
>message, and only see 8.3 file names.
>
>Any suggestions?

I'm having the exact same problem, with FreeBSD 4.1-RELEASE, and a retail
copy of UT. I got around it because I also have a linux partition on the
same machine, but that's not the right answer. If people running earlier
releases (4.0? 3.X?) aren't having problems, then it sounds like someone's
been mucking with the cd9660 driver.... :(

-Sean.