Date:      Wed, 5 Jun 2002 19:26:32 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Ross Lippert <ripper@eskimo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: man refs, deCSS disclaimer, merging with sound chapter

--2/5bycvrmDh4d1IB

On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 06:17:54AM -0700, Ross Lippert wrote:
> 1) man refs
> Currently the only manrefs I'm making are XFree86 4.X, which is a
> port, so from what I can tell, if I just put an entity in the
> share/sgml/man-refs.ent the build will fail on system where the port
> isn't installed.  I could remove them, I guess.  If I get no feedback
> on this, I will.

Nope.  The entity refs work irrespective of whether or not the port
is installed.  So use them :-)

> 2) deCSS disclaimer
> Currently I footnote the use of the WITH_DVD option in building
> mplayer, which causes it to build mplayer with deCSS support.  I'm in
> the US, where the legality of using such a binary is dubious.  Other
> webpages on video I have seen opt for various disclaimers about this
> so as not to get shut down.  I'd certainly not want a nasty letter to
> arrive at freebsd.org demanding that the online-handbook be taken
> down.  If I get no feedback on this I will remove the empty footnote
> and not worry about it.

I'd say leave it as a footnote.

> 3) sound chapter
> The current sound chapter contains four sections on setting up sound
> and getting various applications to work.  If we go with the original
> wording of the PR, then I should change this to a chapter on
> multimedia (which involves changing a directory-name within the CVS
> archive -- something I always thought was best done with care to
> ensure proper tracking), merging the video playback chapter I have
> into it such that sound becomes one section and video playback becomes
> another (which various promotions of sect{n}'s to sect{n+1}'s and
> perhaps some minor reworking of other peoples "territory"), and
> finally a PR perhaps left open for video capture (which I think is
> fillable if one has the right toys).  A meta-synopsis needs to be made
> for the resulting multimedia chapter.  Given the messiness of merging,
> and of ensuring good tracking by CVS, I'm ambivalent about which way
> this one should go: add or merge.

A chapter on multimedia?  How about a complete top level section, with
chapters for video, audio, DVD playback, CD playback, and so on?  Or are
some of those not likely to generate a full chapters worth of content?

--=20
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve      http://www.freebsd.org/               (__)
FreeBSD Documentation Project    http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/    \\\'',)
                                                                      \/  \=
 ^
   --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---         .\._/=
_)

--2/5bycvrmDh4d1IB

--2/5bycvrmDh4d1IB--