Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 2002 12:34:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      Geir Råness <pulz@pulz.no>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/36342: rl/dc(smc) + ppppoe = major bug !

>Number:         36342
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       rl/dc(smc) + ppppoe = major bug !
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
It seems to be an bug with pppoe and rl / dc chip based ethernetcards.
The problem with the rl cards is that the cards turns it self off after a while, and you need to reboot the box to get it to work again.

While the bug with dc0 cards is much more dangerous, when you try to dial up with pppoe the box completley locks it self down.

Please note, that all these cards that i and others have tested with are smc made.

I typical cheap brand, much sold here in norway and other places in the world.
>How-To-Repeat:
Just get an rl/dc ethernet card and dial up using ppppoe ;/