Date:      Thu, 25 May 2000 20:43:29 -0400
From:      Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net>
To:        James Howard <howardjp@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD kernel as a replacement for Linux kernel

James Howard wrote:

> Since I mention it, does anyone know the major differences between SCO's
> new SVR5 (Unixware 7) and traditional SVR4 implementations?  Going to
> SCO's website all I get is market-speak.

As I've been told it was named SVR5 to mark inclusion of enterprise-level
features (and yes, for marketing reasons):

- better CPU scalability with modular support for different platforms
  (initially UW7 was up to 8 CPUs well and 12 CPUs so-so, now up to
  16 CPUs well)
- support for over 4GB of memory
- support for large areas of shared memory attached to great many processes
- multi-path I/O support (a disk can be connected to 2 or more SCSI buses)
- integrated volume manager (from Veritas, terrible thing, and often broken)
- hot-swappable disks
- hot-pluggable PCI cards
- high availablilty clustering (Reliant from Veritas, terrible thing, and
  sometimes broken)

Internally it had significant extensions in the multiprocessor
support, memory and re-designed I/O subsystem.

-SB