Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 1995 18:03:52 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Leo Papandreou <leo@lisa.rur.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <terry@cs.weber.edu>, Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@cs.hut.fi>, jmacd@freefall.cdrom.com, freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: What people are doing with FBSD

> Perhaps you can get someone off the street and talk them through
> the installation while recording the event in a question and answer
> format? Its just a thought but the point is that Joe Windows and
> Jordan are never going to be in sync despite Jordan's efforts to be as
> lucid and non-techy as possible.

You'll get no argument on that score from me.  It's just that the
install team tends to get stuck working in a vacuum for every install
we've done.  I don't blame any one "side" in this (the install hackers
or the users) since I think that it's more the basic methodology
surrounding each release that's at fault.  The code base goes into
code freeze and then a small group of black magicians get together in
a corner and mutter various dark spells around a couldron that those
around them are generally afraid to even look into, much less stir in
their own ingredients.

> Well www.freebsd.org could be jazzed up to include an online Journal.
> I appreciate how busy the core team must be but I cant help thinking
> what a listing under Netscape's cool links would do to further the
> cause. cgi shouldnt be a problem for you guys; is there nobody around
> with a design and graphics background?

I'm afraid not.  I've put out 3 different calls now for daemon artwork
to jazz up the pages (daemon reading book for docs page, daemon with
butterfly net chasing winged insect for bugs page, etc) and not one
person has responded with anything that might have been used in the
pages (well, not responded PERIOD is more like it! :-( ).

It's depressing.

> Well it would be nice if the folks at netscape, mosaic, real-audio, etc
> distributed FreeBSD binaries. As it is they do distribute Linux binaries.
> Consider the position of a person looking at installing a free unix

I push push push on that, believe me..  It's an uphill battle and a
fine line besides between "advocate" and "pest", so I try to push only
as much as seems reasonable.

> The opportunity is here but a superior product is not going to
> be enough. Like my boss says, even to get laid you need marketing.

Maybe *that's* my problem - not enough marketing!  And here I was
blaming myself for always sitting in front of my computer and never
actually going out to MEET any women.. :-)

All kidding aside, yes, I agree with you completely.  It's just hard
to find the resources to do it!  Everybody wants to hack the product,
but few genuinely want to "sell" it.

					Jordan