Date:      Sat, 19 Apr 1997 13:07:42 -0500
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        Martin Jangowski <bsd@birdland.rhein-neckar.de>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is there a perceived need for a 2.1.8 release?

At 11:54 AM -0500 4/19/97, Martin Jangowski wrote:
>Of course! As master over 11 heavily loaded machines, all running 2.1.7.1
>very successfully, I can't see myself changing them all to 2.2.x. I think
>that 2.1.7.1 is going to stay for a long time, so I'd appreciate the idea
>of fixing security bugs in the 2.1.x-line very much.

I think that this is the intent. The question is whether or not we need a
full release generated.

My suggestion would be to roll a release of 2.1 every 3 months until 2.2
is of a quality the it would be recommended to an ISP to replace 2.1.

However, I would not distribute that release on CD.

I view the CD's more as
"The FreeBSD Summer '97 Distribution CD -- Featuring FreeBSD 2.2.1"
rather than
"The FreeBSD 2.2.1 RELEASE CD"

I would distribute a source difference (CTM delta or similar) from
the last 2.1 CD as a part of each CD distribution. This would provide
an archive for those interested and give anyone the ability the generate
the present version, if desired. A "live CVS tree" from which you could
check out every distribution would also be an alternative.