Date:      Sun, 4 Aug 2019 13:10:10 -0700
From:      Johannes Lundberg <johalun0@gmail.com>
To:        raichoo <raichoo@acmelabs.space>
Cc:        x11-list freebsd <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Graphics Team Meeting Minutes

On Sun, Aug 4, 2019 at 11:42 AM raichoo <raichoo@acmelabs.space> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 04, 2019 at 11:12:23AM -0700, Johannes Lundberg wrote:
> > Toxic attitudes ain't gonna make things move faster. How about joining
> the
> > meetings and actively participate instead of whining and complaining from
> > the sidelines as you always do?
>
> Sounds great, so let me chime in.
>
> I'm currently porting my windowmanager over to wayland and I'm doing this
> on
> FreeBSD. In the process I've hacked together all parts of the graphics
> stack
> to get things working (self built Xwayland, because the shipped version was
> segfaulting on me), self built epoll shim, wlroots etc. It works
> surprisingly
> well and maybe some of this could be useful for upstream (if only for,
> "I've
> tested this and it works, can someone else confirm this?")
> I would really like to help to improve wayland support on FreeBSD, I'm
> certainly
> not an expert but maybe I contribute some useful things.

Thank you! Any contribution is highly appreciated. Wayland stuff is still a
bit shaky but it's pretty high on our priority list.
We will update the Wayland Wiki page soon with some tutorial and other
necessary info (it's very outdated).
If you have any patches you want to share you can create PR on
https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop or post on this mailing list / gitter /
irc.

> So, how and where are these Team Meeting minutes taking place? Are there
> any
> preliminaries? Sorry if these questions apear to be more or less
> uninformed I've
> sort of learned about the existance these meetings via this thread and was
> hoping to add are more positive vibe.

Thanks for the positive vibe :) We have a biweekly video call and publish
meeting minutes soon-ish after. Sometimes we drop the ball since everyone
is pretty swamped with other stuff and all this work is voluntarily. In
this case, a friendly (non-toxic) reminder is welcome. We don't post any
preliminaries. Team's open discussions mostly take place here
https://gitter.im/FreeBSDDesktop/Lobby

> On a sidenote, I was also thinking about organizing a hackathon next year
> in
> Bielefeld Germany, hoping to bring together some more people who maybe
> want to
> hack on better wayland support, apart from other BSD things.

That sounds awesome! I can't join personally but I hope you'll arrange it.