Date:      Tue, 2 Mar 1999 18:58:46 -0500
From:      "IdiotSwitch Editor" <idiotswitch@beer.com>
To:        <current@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Sheldon Hearn" <sheldonh@iafrica.com>
Subject:   ATAPI Drive & Naming System

>        Remember that disks are now numbered in the sequence in which
>        they are found (as under the SCSI system), not in absolute
>        positions as they were with the old system. For example, if you
>        had wd0 and wd2 but no wd1, you'll now have wd0 and wd1.  Watch
>        out for this, because you may need to change your /etc/fstab and
>        create appropriate entriess in /dev/ before booting your new
kernel.

This may make a flame war, but why not give SCSI & ide devices the SAME
device names?

Ie.

drv0 == first ide controller (harddisk)
drv1 == first ide controller (CD-ROM)
drv2 == scsi harddrive
drv3 == scsi tape backup

In my example, I booted from the ide controller (so it started looking there
first).
If I booted from the scsi harddrive, the 2 scsi drives would be 'found'
first?

This would simplify (or possibly mutilate) the current naming system for
drives.  However, is there anyway I can make drv1 (or at3) remain drv1 or
at3 when I add more devices?