Date:      Thu, 25 May 2000 10:40:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bob K <melange@yip.org>
To:        Steve Roome <steve@sse0691.bri.hp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Joe Shevland <shevlandj@kpi.com.au>
Subject:   Re: Transparent proxies and fetch

On Thu, 25 May 2000, Steve Roome wrote:

> Then again, someone might have a better solution, but IMHO I think
> it's quite rude of ISP's to divert your traffic without letting you
> know about it, imagine how you'd feel if they started diverting all
> your outgoing port23 connections and archiving everything that went
> down that line.
>
> Others may feel differently about it though! And it's becoming far too
> standard a practice now, so maybe we're supposed to move with the
> times and accept it? I dunno!

Well, I work for an ISP that does exactly this (automatic proxy/cache of
http), and the reason we do it is because it saves thousands of dollars a
month by cutting our inbound traffic roughly in half.

A workaround if the ISP is unwilling to exclude your IP from the
redirection (like, if you're on dialup with a dynamic IP, for example)
would be to to use a SOCKS server that's not on your ISP's network.

***
Another workaround would be to try to grab the files manually through ftp
(or saved through a web browser) and stick 'em in /usr/ports/distfiles/ .
***

However, I know for a fact that fetch (at least on 3.4R) has no problems
with Cacheflow 3040 boxes deployed.  I suspect that the problem looks like
this:

- fetch sends out the http:// request
- the ISP's gateway redirects it to a caching box
- the caching box makes the request to the server
- for some reason, there's a delay
- a timer expires in fetch, causing the "Document contains no
data" error.  I would expect that it would return a different error if the
timer was expiring on the caching box (as the box would return an error as
opposed to nothing) or on the server you were trying to fetch from (for
the same reason).

fetch appears to have a timeout switch, ie -T [seconds].  Perhaps you
could try inserting very high timeout values into the Makefiles?

--
Bob <melange@yip.org>
"Reality is the only word in the language that should always be used