Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 1996 12:43:46 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
Cc:        rkw@dataplex.net, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IP bugs in FreeBSD 2.1.5

> this is true, and I am sure that you do too.  However, my past
> experience with the SNAP releases has generally been bad enough that
> I am not willing to run them on production equipment, even when backed
> up with a redundant system.  They may be fine for desktop use, or

And, as a BETA tester, I would never have expected you to.  I fail
to see how this is germain to the argument in question.

> With a formalized RELEASE procedure, essentially what you are doing is
> calling a feature freeze, cutting a "SNAP" (ALPHA), followed by one or
> two more cleanup "SNAP"'s (BETA/GAMMA), followed by RELEASE.  This

And yet I would *never* have recommended that someone run ALPHA, BETA
or GAMMA code on a production system.  If you were doing this then you
somehow missed the entire essence of what the process was supposed to
be about.

> Well, and this is sorta a critical concept, the fact that a given "SNAP"
> is part of a formal release cycle makes it a very important SNAP.

All SNAPs are part of the format release cycle.  When a SNAP is
getting particularly close to a *scheduled release* then I have always
qualified that and tried to get folks to give it a little extra
attention, and generally they have.  Like I said, the system works for
me and I'm going to stick with it.

						Jordan