Date:      Thu, 04 Dec 1997 21:52:49 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>, nate@mt.sri.com, toasty@home.dragondata.com, jak@cetlink.net, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0 -release ?

>> 	stability
>> 	performance
>> 	predictibility
>>
> 	How about compelling business reason and delivery of the
>         product?

I think we can decipher through all this that Amancio has an axe to
grind about release schedules and a lack of firmness in same.  That's
fine.  I don't think that anyone here disputes our general inability
to hit a fixed release date if we're not allowed to sneak up real
close to it first.  We *suck* at this, in many ways, and we're going
to continue to suck right up until such time as the whole release
engineering process transitions from "release engineering guy" (hi!)
to "release engineering group", where "group" is defined as at least 2
to 3 install hackers, a CVS buildmeister and a test engineer with one
or more assistant testers.

Even at minimum staffing levels, that's 5 full-time people either
actively working away on a release or using the in-between hours to
work on improving their tools.  That's probably also about 10 machines
(representing "typical configs") in a test lab, with someone doing
double-duty as the lab manager who keeps track of all the bits and
bobs that need to be tested.  Figure on 4 average-sized office rooms
to hold the lab and the project member offices, you're talking about a
non-trivial amount of funding to sustain that kind of organization.

Should I ever have that kind of funding available, you can also bet
that's exactly what I'll do with it. :-)

It's unfortunate that your average volunteer also tends to make a poor
substitute for any of these "5 minimum personnel" in my scenario since
doing this kind of work for free on an ongoing basis quickly starts to
suck (just trust me on this :).  You really need for your release
engineering group to be *accountable* for their pieces of the puzzle
if a release is actually going to come off on a reliable schedule and
in the volunteer world, unfortunately, people are always wandering off
suddenly with cryptic "sorry, family crisis, gotta go!" explanations
or otherwise just becoming so suddenly swamped with other work that
for several weeks solid they come home and fall asleep immediately
without even reading their email.  That's totally forgivable for a
volunteer, of course, but if he's also your buildmeister and it just
happens to be release week (and nobody else understands the build
system quite like he does), well...  That's sort of going to muck with
your release schedules a bit, you know what I'm saying here? :-)

So, in summary, if you want to make sure that Jonathan's "stability,
performance & predictability" criteria are not seriously compromised
by the schedule, and you really want to stick to an *exact* schedule,
then somebody's going to have to find me at least $500K/year hidden
under a rug someplace so that I can hire those folks and stick them in
the kind of environment where they can communicate directly with one
another and focus exclusively on the problem, 40 hours a week minimum,
and actually do the job the way it's *supposed* to be done. :)

If you want to preserve Johnathan's criteria without spending at least
$500K/yr, on the other hand, then you've got to settle for a floating
schedule.  Sorry!  Law of physics. Not my fault. ;-)

					Jordan