Date:      Sun, 14 May 2000 18:03:11 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How is "TeX" typically pronounced?

In list.freebsd-chat Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com> wrote:
 > On Saturday, 13 May 2000 at 15:16:19 +0200, Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > Just for the record, me and most of my friends pronounce TeX
 > > like the German "Technik" (sorry, I don't know an English word
 > > that has that sound).
 > > I know it's not correct, but it's much easier for my German
 > > tongue.  :-)
 >
 > Based on the TeXbook, that would be correct.

It isn't.  According to the TeXbook, it's pronounced like the
Greek letter "chi".  Germans usually don't pronounce "chi"
correctly either.

 > "It's the 'ch' sound in ... German words like ach".  What's the
 > problem?

The "ch" sound in the German words "Technik" ("ich", "echt",
...) and "ach" ("suchen", "Krach", ...) is different.  I think
it depends on the vowel preceding the "ch".

In the first case, the sound is produced by the middle part of
the tongue (between tongue and palate), in the second case it
is produced by the back part of the tongue (it comes from the
throat).  The latter is the correct pronunciation for "chi" and
"TeX".

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)