Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 1996 01:53:46 -0500
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mark Crispin <MRC@CAC.Washington.EDU>
Cc:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>, terry@lambert.org, j@uriah.heep.sax.de, roberto@keltia.freenix.fr, current@FreeBSD.org, scrappy@ki.net
Subject:   Re: /var/mail (was: re: Help, permission problems...)

Mark Crispin wrote in message ID
<MailManager.846641651.13515.mrc@Tomobiki-Cho.CAC.Washington.EDU>:
> Has it ever dawned on any of you that a user on a FreeBSD system just might b
> getting the mail spool via NFS from a different flavor of UNIX, one that uses
> the .lock files instead?  Probably not, but it's my job to think about such
> things and make sure that they work, because golly gee, people do such things

No, probably because without NFS locking, it will have a tendancy to
destroy mail. Ergo, it isn't done :-)

NFS for e-mail is evil and people who do it should be shot. POP and
IMAP are perfectly reasonable ways of collecting e-mail (and yes, I do
know what the subject of this discussion is/was). Some people who have
a mad love for /usr/bin/mail want /var/mail NFS mounted from the mail
box to the shell box. I tell them to use fetchmail. Problem solved.

To be perfectly honest, I don't see the problem here ... make the
locking method an option, just like elm does. No more problem.

Gary