Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 2001 10:19:11 -0500
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@bilver.wjv.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Design a journalled file system

On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 08:46:58AM -0600, Jonathan Lemon thus spoke:

> > > Or if you simply _WRITE_ some new code to read the XFS filesystem.
> > > Gee, if our loader groks ext2fs, it must be GPL'd, right?

> > "Donations of code welcome".

> Sure. Just as soon as there is an XFS filesystem to boot from, of
> course.

Is my mind playing tricks on me?  I seem to recall that on an SGI
there is a separte boot file system then the XFS.   It's been a
couple of years now - but I convertned several from the 5.x to the
6.x Irix with the new XFS.

Why does the boot file system have to be the same as a running
file-system.  I know that in some of the Sys V.x Intel variants,
there is a separate booting file system conforming to the old
s51 file system because the newer file systems they use wont
boot in an iNTEL environment.

Bill

--
Bill Vermillion -   bv @ wjv . com