Date:      Wed, 10 Apr 1996 13:29:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Craig Shaver" <craig@seabass.progroup.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GNU binutils port

> Josh MacDonald stands accused of saying:
> >
> > Its getting ridiculous, considering how easy it is to import
> > the tree.  NetBSD has it running, why, may I ask, is the 2.2
> > tree not tracking gcc-2.7?
>
> Because last time people tried (2.7.2 IIRC), it failed to correctly compile
> the kernel, the X servers, and a few other things people threw at it.

Is it the compiler or the code?  I tried to compile the 2.1-R with 2.7.2 and it
did not fail the compile, but the kernel was buggy.  A saved make log showed
a substantial number of warnings.  A make log using the 2.6.3 compiler did not
have any of those warnings.  I have used the 2.7.2 compiler on Solaris 2.4 since
it was available, and I have not had any problems I could attribute to the compiler.
All of the ports I have compiled on 2.1-R have worked flawlessly (so far :*)!

> 2.6.3 may be "old hat", but it works.  I remember being laughed at for
> sticking with 1.39 while the world was wailing and gnashing it's teeth
> over 2.2 and the grief there.  If it's 2.8 before the major problems are
> fixed, I can't see us losing too much sleep 8)

I moved to 2.7.2 on solarais because people said 2.6.3 was buggy!  What's up!

btw, I have not tried c++ (g++) on freebsd, does it work?  Are there any
problems with linking?  Dynamic libraries?  Compiling STL?  Should I consider
FreeBSD a viable platform for applications development using c++?  Motif?

Would I be better off concentrating on Linux, and waiting for FreeBSD to
catch up?

Thanks,

--
Craig Shaver  (craig@progroup.com) (415)390-0654
Productivity Group POB 60458 Sunnyvale, CA  94088