Date:      Thu, 23 May 1996 06:32:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@hamby1.lightside.net>
To:        chuckr@Glue.umd.edu, cat@uunet.ca
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, jehamby@lightside.com, coredump@nervosa.com, winter@jurai.net, freebsd-current@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: editors

> Am I correct in assuming that you're talking about a new user who is learning
> how to setup and administrate unix? If so, then what is the aim of the
> freebsd project - are we trying to make the OS as 'user friendly' as the
> Windows world? ...or is there an ongoing intention to get people past the
> simplistic nature of the microsoft 'os's?
>
> If it's new users on a system, what difference does it make :> That's just
> site choice :>
>
> c.

Well, this is a good point.  I don't think it's THAT hard to learn "h, j, k, and
l move the cursor around (although our vi also supports cursor keys :-), i or a
insert or append text at that location, ESC gets you back to command mode, :wq
means save and quit, and :q! means quit, don't save."  In a perfect world, you
would have your choice of editor at all times (and a fully X-based install, like
Solaris), but the hard reality is that all of the established Unixes expect the
administrator to have some competance with vi.  Hmm, well I suppose with Solaris
you could "/usr/openwin/bin/openwin" and "textedit", and I do know Unix admins
(not competant ones :-) who use textedit and filemgr for their system
maintainance.  Just a scary thought.

If there is room, and we can include pico in /stand or /usr/bin, that may be a
good idea in the short term to get some people new to Unix able to edit config
files without simultaneously painfully learning a new editor. However, in the
long term, we should probably be encouraging new administrators to learn the
standard tools so they will have the knowledge to administer other Unix-based
systems (e.g. SunOS is a small jump from FreeBSD, of course SVR4 is much
different but they both have in common vi).

My other point is that ee wasn't much better than vi, from what I can tell, and
confusing to myself to see it pop up when you run, e.g. vipw, although of course
I knew how to change $EDITOR.

Maybe the best thing to do is a very brief vi command summary in the
documentation built into sysinstall?

---Jake