Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 2000 12:19:03 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>
To:        sos@freebsd.dk (Soren Schmidt)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATA & 82C596 bug in 4.0-RELEASE?

> > > I tried to install 4.0-RELEASE on a completely new PC system, but the
> > > install failed with ATA write errors and resets. I moved the disk to another
> > > PC and installed 4.0 via manual disklabels, newfs, bin + src extraction.
> > > 4.0 booted fine on this system (a Dell Optiplex GX1).
> > >
> > > Back on the new system, a 993AS motherboard with VIA 82C596 ATA33 controller,
> > > and <ST313021A> [25232/16/63] 13Gig disk at ata0-master using UDMA33. It
> > > boots and then takes out the root partition, again with ATA write errors and
> > > resets.
> > > Can anybody tell me if this 89C596 support is still experimental, or
> > > alternatively are there any recent patches/changes which I should pick up?
> > > I'm happy to cvsup either from 4.0-stable or 4.0-current if it would help
> > > to fix this problem.
>
> Yup VIA has a new version of the 82C596 chip, in their usual visdom they
> change the interface, but not the chip ID (I'll nominate VIA for the
> way they do versioning). However I have worked out the solution with
> Chris Wiener <cwiener@crlabs.com>, that had this problem also and
> kindly helped testing. Se the patch belowm try it and let me know..

Is it possible that something like that is happening with the 82C586
too? The chip on our boards are all marked VT82C586B. I'll try the
patch although it seems to be for the 596?

> > Your question should include the VIA 82C586. :-) The answer will depend
> > on who answer it. If it is Soren or one of the lucky ones that have it
> > working, they will say everything is fine. For the rest of us with
> > machines that don't want to install or that want to eat your disk if you
> > install it somewhere else first, the answer is probably different. :-(
>
> Woa! I havn't seen any reports of the '586 not working, please point

I did report it to -current about the 9th of March and you did respond
to that message. I do seem to remember others complaining too, but when
I tried to look for them through the mailing list search engine I
couldn't find any because it seems that the search engine stopped
indexing in December. :-(

> me at them. I've seen a couble of cases where it was other known bad
> HW that caused trouble. So by all means please forward any problem
> to me, together with verbose boot logs etc and I'll take a look at
> it, if there is a problem it should be fixed. However if it is on
> HW I dont have access to here, I need someone that has a box that
> can be used for testing, ie with filesystems that can be restored/
> reinstalled etc etc and have the time and patience to work with me
> one the problem.

I have a machine that can be trashed. The trouble is that it cannot
install 4.x or -current because of the problem with the ata driver.
During installation it just go in a loop during newfs and keep on
spitting out errors.

Should I just install 3.X and then copy a newer kernel over? 3.4
install perfectly and dma also works without a problem if enabled
with flags 0xa0ff. (Although that is probably a slower dma?)

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay@mikom.csir.co.za