Date:      20 Apr 2003 11:59:08 -0400
From:      Adam <blueeskimo@gmx.net>
To:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Inaccuracy in 'The Handbook' printer setup manual

--=-PR1miS81PzFzw9PS4+B0

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/printing-intro-setup.html#PRINTING-TEST=
ING

It says:
****
11.3.1.3.2.1 Checking a Parallel Printer
This section tells you how to check if FreeBSD can communicate with a
printer connected to a parallel port.

To test a printer on a parallel port:

     1. Become root with su(1).
       =20
     2. Send data to the printer.
       =20
              * If the printer can print plain text, then use lptest(1).
                Type:
               =20
               =20
                # lptest > /dev/lptN
               =20
                Where N is the number of the parallel port, starting
                from zero.
               =20
              * If the printer understands PostScript or other printer
                language, then send a small program to the printer.
                Type:
               =20
               =20
                # cat > /dev/lptN
               =20
                Then, line by line, type the program carefully as you
                cannot edit a line once you have pressed RETURN or
                ENTER. When you have finished entering the program,
                press CONTROL+D, or whatever your end of file key is.
               =20
                Alternatively, you can put the program in a file and
                type:
               =20
               =20
                # cat file > /dev/lptN
               =20
                Where file is the name of the file containing the
                program you want to send to the printer.
               =20

You should see something print. Do not worry if the text does not look
right; we will fix such things later.

****

That last part is not entirely true (where is says you should see
something print if you pipe to /dev/lptN). This does *NOT* work with
some printers (including my Canon S600). However, once
apsfilter+ghostscript are installed, the printer works fine. But piping
to /dev/lpt0 (or whatever device you are set up for) does not print
anything. On my printer in particular, the light blinks when I write to
/dev/lpt0, but nothing comes out.

This inaccuracy cost me a good day's worth of troubleshooting, because
the handbook strongly advised getting this part working before moving on
to config'ing printcap and apsfilter. I eventually gave up on this part
and decided to move on, at which point I was amazed when it actually
worked.

I hope this clarification saves someone some heartache in the future.

--=20
Adam <blueeskimo@gmx.net>

--=-PR1miS81PzFzw9PS4+B0

--=-PR1miS81PzFzw9PS4+B0--