Date:      Wed, 28 Jun 2000 10:52:34 -0700
From:      Brad Jones <brad@kazrak.com>
To:        Brian <bellefso@execpc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMP panic on boot

On Wed, Jun 28, 2000 at 12:02:18PM -0500, Brian wrote:
> I have just installed a machine with 4.0 release. When I rebuilt the kernel
> to enable SMP,
> I got a panic on reboot. I cvsup'd to stable and tried it again, but the
> same problem
> occured. The following message is what I recieved:
>
> APIC_IO: Testing 8254 interrupt delivery
> APIC_IO: routing 8254 via IOAPIC #0 intpin 2
>
> panic: mbinit
> mp_lock = 00000002; cpuid = 0; lapic.id = 00000000
>
> Then the machine reboots. I have tried changing the SMP version between 1.1
> and 1.4 with
> the same results. The machine has worked previosly with 3.x. The machine is
> a Abit BP6 with
> dual Celeron 433's and 768 MB RAM. IDE hard drive and CDROM. I am not using
> the Highpoint
> controller on the board. I know that 4.0 will work with these boards, I have
> two others running the same thing, but with SCSI. Any ideas what could be
> causing this?

ISTR having this problem as well.  As I recall, it triggered when I tried
setting my BIOS to handle the USB keyboard instead of leaving it to the OS.
(Same board, same CPUs, less memory, using HPT366.)

Try tweaking that and see if it helps.

BJ

--
Brad Jones -- brad@kazrak.com
"I use emacs, which might be thought of as a thermonuclear word processor."