Date:      Sun, 4 Mar 2001 22:54:16 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
Cc:        MisteraSturno@worldnet.att.net, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OT: MacOS X (was Re: Can you recommend... )

On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 03:33:00PM +1100, Tony Landells wrote:

> The other thing where MacOS X loses at the moment is that it
> doesn't have something like BIOS passwords and boot orders, so
> I can't stop people from rebooting from a CD, for example, to
> get access to my (unencrypted but still important) files.

3rd party utilities have been the ones to provide this feature
on Macs as the device driver for the volume is loaded as part of
the mount process. Some have password protected only the driver,
others encrypt the entire fileystem.

MacOS X PB seems to prefer to run in an HFS+ fs, where I expect the
3rd party device driver situation will continue.

Didn't look too closely yet on my Powerbook but think I saw a
utility from Apple for password locking the entire thing. No
idea how secure that is or isn't.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net