Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 2004 10:23:31 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Eric Masson <e-masson@kisoft-services.com>
Subject:   Re: gif4) & AltQ

--GRPZ8SYKNexpdSJ7

On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 02:30:28PM +0100, Eric Masson wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> In a vpn application, I'm using gif tunnels backed by ipsec transport
> mode beetween two hosts on the Internet.
>=20
> Is there any hope to see gif(4) modified to integrate AltQ framework or
> is there any reason (except lack of maintainer/coder time) that would be
> a showstopper ?

I'm not sure ALTQ makes sense on a gif interface.  ALTQ's operation
depends on being fairly close to the point where packets hit the wire
and gif is quite a ways from there (since it's riding on top of IP).
I don't think there would be any objection to adding support, but gif
does not have have a maintainer so you'd have to convince someone to
find it intresting (or figure it out yourself.)  I gather the changes
aren't all that complex in general.

-- Brooks

--=20

--GRPZ8SYKNexpdSJ7