Date:      Fri, 18 Apr 1997 09:49:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Graydon Hoare ()" <admin@multinet.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: News...

On Thu, 17 Apr 1997, Sysadmin wrote:

> I'm starting to get the impression that this thread's real intent is to
> eliminate newsgroups which are unwanted and at the same time not have to
> provide them to those getting newsfeeds, and prevent others
> from carrying them as well, lest the customers vote with their feet and

Look, Usenet in its current form is like getting the contents of 1 copy of
Scientific American, 1 Newsweek, 1 Dr. Dobbs, 1 Rolling Stone, and 27,000
backissues of Hustler all in the same magazine. It's just not a very
well-balanced breakfast, y'know?

If you'd read my post, all I'm suggesting is that admins take a moment of
their day and consider if they really need that custom built
Joe-Greco-Special churning through 5 gigabytes of pornos every day when
really, if someone feels they need nudies badly, they can always just use
the web for a few minutes and subsidize someone who commercially produces
the stuff. I don't think I'm tromping on any first-amendment shoes in
saying so, considering most of the stuff on alt.la.de.da is either:

        (a) illegal as an infringement of human rights or an
            infringement of intellectual property law
        or

        (b) spam, test messages, or unmoderated flamage that scares
            off thoughtful, gentle people.

But hey man, if you got $15,000 to blow on your next news server, welcome
to the free world.. You'll get plenty of customers and serve plenty of
burgers. good luck.

-graydon <admin@multinet.net>