Date:      Tue, 9 Jan 1996 18:18:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      Michael Dillon <michael@memra.com>
To:        John Anderson <john@library.bbcc.ctc.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Opinion

On Tue, 9 Jan 1996, John Anderson wrote:

> We still haven't quite decided how we're
> going to hook our modems up yet.

Uh-oh, the most important part...

> It has been suggested to me that hooking up
> another computer loaded with the minimum Freebsd
> and a network card and fill the thing with modems.
>
> Does this sound feesable or just silly?

It sounds silly. Buy a terminal server like the Livingstion Portmaster.
Now, it is true that you *CAN* use a FreeBSD box as a terminal server but
there is a little bit more to it than filling the box with modems. For
one thing, you wouldn't be putting the modems in the box, you would need
external modems. For another, you would need a multiport card of some
sort to provide the serial ports to attach the modems to. Then you need
to configure PPP and/or rlogin to handle each dialin port. You need some
means of checking passwords which may involve setting up NIS or rdist or
preferably, using a modified "login" which supports RADIUS to query a
RADIUS server running on your shell/email machine.

Michael Dillon                                    Voice: +1-604-546-8022
Memra Software Inc.                                 Fax: +1-604-542-4130
http://www.memra.com                             E-mail: michael@memra.com