Date:      Mon, 2 May 2016 18:45:14 +0530
From:      Manish Jain <bourne.identity@hotmail.com>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu
Subject:   Re: Is 10.3 i386 jinxed ?

On 05/01/16 15:11, Manish Jain wrote:
> On 05/01/16 00:04, Polytropon wrote:
>> On Sat, 30 Apr 2016 23:43:47 +0530, Manish Jain wrote:
>>> I reinstalled the whole system using xfce as the desktop. While things
>>> have improved, the system is still not workable.
>>>
>>> 1) The installer 'forgot' to place the boot code on the MBR. I had to
>>> use live CD + boot0cfg to fix that.
>> Use MBR only if needed. Today's preference is to use GPT for
>> partitioning. Compare:
>>
>> http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/disksetup.html
>>
>> Use MBR only if you have a valid reason as it probably has
>> reached the state of "not supported anymore".
>>

>>> 2) The first time X started, xfce4-panel crashed
>>> 3) The second time, xfce-terminal crashed
>>> 4) The third time, trying to launch firefox rebooted the system.
>> This (and especially the last problem) leads to the impression
>> that there is a _massive_ problem, it's probably not related to
>> the FreeBSD OS, and surely not to installed applications. Are
>> you sure there isn't a hardware problem lurking in the background?
>> Like... starting a web browser reboots the system... this simply
>> sounds totally wrong.
>>

>>> Overall, 10.3 i386 seems to have gremlins in the belly. What do I do ?
>> I have a 10.2 installation on an older Dell laptop, running Gnome 2,
>> no problems so far (but I haven't tried updating it yet, as I'm a
>> big fan of "never touch a running system", a symptom of lazyness
>> and "fat fingers"). :-)
>>

>>> Try some linux distro ? This is exactly what I have been trying to
>>> avoid.
>> Check out PC-BSD or try the Lxde desktop. Maybe you can also
>> settle for a less convoluted desktop, i.e. a window manager
>> that you like.
>>

>>> BTW, does anyone have any idea where can I get Windows XP drivers for
>>> the NE56R laptop ?
>> >From the manufacturer of course. :-)
>>

>>> If nothing else works, XP remains my fall-back option.
>> For offline use that's probably more or less okay. :-)
>>

> I strongly suspect some hardware problem, quite possible RAM : there
> is a page fault at boot time and the report is in /var/crash. I am
> running memtest86+ for 24 hours, and will report results tomorrow. If
> memtest86+ detects no errors, I will paste the contents of the crash
> report for some expert to analyse.
>
> Regards
> Manish Jain

I ran memtest86+ for about 30 hours, doing 65 passes. No errors
detected. So I rebooted, but I continue to get page fault and launching
xfce-terminal rebooted the system. I am pasting the top few lines of the
crash report here. If anybody would like the complete report (something
like 2500 lines), please email me separately. If anybody would further
like to have the core file itself (something like 120 MB), please let me
know.

// core.txt <<

cpuid = 0; apic id = 00
fault virtual address    = 0x34
fault code        = supervisor write, page not present
instruction pointer    = 0x20:0xc0dffdd6
stack pointer            = 0x28:0xf0598720
frame pointer            = 0x28:0xf0598720
code segment        = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
             = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags    = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process        = 1033 (xfce4-terminal)
trap number        = 12
panic: page fault
cpuid = 0
KDB: stack backtrace:
#0 0xc0b7be92 at kdb_backtrace+0x52
#1 0xc0b3c1db at vpanic+0x11b
#2 0xc0b3c0bb at panic+0x1b
#3 0xc10650cb at trap_fatal+0x30b
#4 0xc1065435 at trap_pfault+0x355
#5 0xc1064b04 at trap+0x674
#6 0xc104f96a at calltrap+0x6
#7 0xc105af1f at pmap_extract_and_hold+0x17f
#8 0xc0dec302 at vm_fault_quick_hold_pages+0xb2
#9 0xc0bfae75 at vn_io_fault1+0x285
#10 0xc0bfaaf3 at vn_rdwr+0x273
#11 0xc0bfb066 at vn_rdwr_inchunks+0xb6
#12 0xc0ad904d at elf32_coredump+0xabd
#13 0xc0b3fe92 at sigexit+0xbc2
#14 0xc0b4064e at postsig+0x2de
#15 0xc0b8fc28 at ast+0x548
#16 0xc10505b5 at doreti_ast+0x1b
Uptime: 1m20s
Physical memory: 1854 MB
Dumping 115 MB: 100 84 68 52 36 20 4

// core.txt >>

Any help in getting my laptop to work properly will be greatly
appreciated. Thank you.

Regards
Manish Jain