Date:      Thu, 16 May 2002 11:39:24 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        "Kevin Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>, Nils Holland <nils@daemon.tisys.org>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The road ahead?

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2002-05-15 22:51, "Kevin Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz> wrote:
> > Technology is almost always of interest.  Mankind is creative, and
> > often lazy at the same time; we seek creative ways to avoid the
> > harsher forms of labor.
>
> The funny thing that has always striken me as, well, funny, about all
> this is that we spend time and effort, while trying to find those
> creative ways ;)

The thing that strikes me is that there are Japanese automobile
manufacturing plants that are 93% automated, and the most automated
American plant is down around 46%.

Also, when NeXT machines were being produced, the entire factory
was pretty much runnable by 2 people.

I don't know what Cannon did with the factory after they bought it
and switched it over to nothing but laser printer engine production,
or what happened subsequent to that, but I'm guessing it now takes
more than 2 people.

A lot of jobs are unnecessary, but until we do something about
the way the economy operates, you're going to continue to see
incredible back-pressure from people who fear the future.  The
labor unions keeping automation out of Detroit are only the tip
of the iceberg.

-- Terry