Date:      Mon, 18 Apr 2022 11:47:27 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        freebsd-scsi <freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   WWN

--00000000000032389405dcf15b3d

Is there a reason we don't rely primarily on WWN changing to detect a disk
change at a particular location? I know it's not universally available, but
anything made in the last 15 or 20 years should have one if my research is
correct... Or is this just a case of inertia?

I'm looking at making ahci a little more resilient to transient outages,
and thought it might be best to key primarily off this and secondarily off
other changed information when that's not available. If I had a WWN, then
I'd know the disk that was gone for 500ms is the same one and I could
resume its operations and still detect that someone unplugged drive A and
plugged in drive B.

Warner

--00000000000032389405dcf15b3d

ing to detect a disk change at a particular location? I know it&#39;s not u=
niversally available, but anything made in the last 15 or 20 years should h=
ave one if my research is correct... Or is this just a case of inertia?<div=
ransient outages, and thought it might be best to key primarily off this an=
d secondarily off other changed information when that&#39;s not available. =
If I had a WWN, then I&#39;d know the disk that was gone for 500ms is the s=