Date:      Mon, 31 Dec 2007 00:59:50 -0400
From:      "Joey Mingrone" <joey@mingrone.org>
To:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problem with fonts after upgrade

On 12/30/07, Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@freebsd.org> wrote:
> Joey Mingrone wrote:
> > Thanks for the link.  I tried moving the configuration files mentioned
> > out of the way, but the problem persists.  The poster suggested
> > "changing DPI setting from 99->96 in
> > Preferences->Appearance->Fonts->Details".  I'm not running gnome (just
> > a simple window manager), so I tried running X with "startx -- -dpi
> > 96" but still see the large fonts. ..not sure if this was equivalent
> > to the suggestion.  I also searched configuration files in my home
> > directory for a DPI setting but found nothing.

Is there any other place to check for a DPI setting?  What
configuration file actually gets changed when a gnome user changes a
DPI setting via  Preferences->Appearance->Fonts->Details?

>>I also tried setting FC_DEBUG to
> > various values and started some gtk-2 apps.  There was nothing obvious
> > in the output (at least to me).  If you are interested/willing the
> > output is at http://jrm.ath.cx/misc/.
> >
> > Do you have any other suggestions?
>
> The only other suggestion I have is to run fc-cache -f -v as root to see
> if rebuilding the font caches fixes this.  You could also try rebuilding
> fontconfig, freetype2, and libXft.

I tried the fc-cache -f -v as root and ran X as root, but not luck.  I
guess this suggests it's not the user configuration files.  I've tried
reinstalling all xorg dependencies, the above ports and gtk-2 and its
dependencies, but still the extra large fonts.  Adding something like
gtk-font-name = "helvetica 11" to ~/gtkrc-2.0 does change some fonts
(for example the menu items in firefox and the dialog box fonts in
gkrellm2), but it has no effect on the problem fonts.  So maybe
something in /usr/local/etc/fonts/fonts.conf?

Joey