Date:      Mon, 1 Jul 2002 12:01:14 +0100 (BST)
From:      Byron Schlemmer <me@freebsdfanatic.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Wierd accouting report errors

Hi all,

I just recieved my montly logon accounting reports from a number of
machines and I noticed that two of the machines reports were garbled.
For example :

Subject: eris monthly run output

Doing login accounting:
        0
568810.82
        =E6^A^G=3Dttyp0
542572.19
        =D0p^X=3Dttyp1
542572.19
        ^=C0=D3^P=3Dttyp0
542572.19
        ?OE^Y=3Dttyp0
542572.19
        =A9?
524168.85
        -)^[=3D~

Also a w, who return garbled output aswell :

# w
11:51AM  up 10 mins, 1 user, load averages: 0.03, 0.02, 0.00
USER                                                             TTY FROM  =
            LOGIN@  IDLE WHAT
byrons                                                           p0 dS~(pR~=
(=CCR~(0W~( 02May91     - w

Both machines that are exhibiting this were cvsuped on Friday 28 June.
Both a make world and kernel rebuild were done. A uname -a shows :

FreeBSD hercules 4.6-RELEASE-p1 FreeBSD 4.6-RELEASE-p1 #0: Fri Jun 28 17:05=
:44 BST 2002 root@hercules:/usr/src/sys/compile/KERNEL  i386

That is the same for both machines. I have also checked to make sure
/var/log/wtmp was not screwed by moving the existing one and touching a
new one. No change. Doing a `ac -p -w /var/log/wtmp` shows odd results :

# ac -p -w /var/log/wtmp
        waynep =09=0997883.21
        mikes =09=0997882.48
        byrons =09=09-507872.24
        total =09=09-312106.55

Is anybody aware of what might be causing this and if there is a
solution.

Thanks,

=09-byron