Date:      Tue, 24 Jun 1997 12:09:34 -0300 (EST)
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@gns.com.br>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   handbook.ascii

> From: Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
> Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 19:23:43 -0700 (PDT)
> Subject: Re: Handbook - ascii form??

[...]
> The various suggestions to repair this text, such as piping it through
> col -b, running little sed scripts, and so forth are inappropriate from
> the point of view that this document (and the FAQ, which has the same
> problems) are supposed to be useful to people running dos/Windows as well
> as people who may not yet be familiar with various unix utilities.
[..]

> From: Joseph Stein <joes@spiritone.com>
> Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 20:15:29 -0700 (PDT)
> Subject: Re: Handbook - ascii form??

[...]
> which is exactly what will happen on a non-conforming printer that does
> not understand how to interpret a 'DEL' character (ascii 008 or ^H)

[...]
> But, have you tried those suggestions?  Try outputting the file to a line
> printer and see if your results are any better.
[...]
> Laser-jet printers (in my opinion) are notorious for not interpreting ASCII
> 008 correctly.

[...]
> It's flaky hardware (or in the case of Micro$loth, buggy software).
>
> From: Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
> Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 23:37:36 -0400 (EDT)
> Subject: Re: Handbook - ascii form??

[...]
> sed -e "s/.^v^H//g" < handbook.ascii.orig > handbook.ascii
>
> groff does that to sorta fake the underlining and boldfacing.

Gee, talk about missing the point!

Annelise is suggesting that the main target of handbook.ascii are
Win95 users (with Laserjet/Deskjet printers, obviously). In which I
agree.

Thus, this file should be targetted at what they have: edit, DOS'
more, notepad, Word 7.0 and similar programs. That's the whole point
of using a stripped down format: so everyone can read.

Now, it seems you are suggesting that handbook.ascii is actually
targetted at people who want a stripped down format that won't work
on most software/hardware available to Unix newbie's. Is that so?

It seems downright stupid that the *handbook*, the first contact with
the system, requires knowledge about Unix commands or file formats!

> From: Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
> Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 22:49:59 -0700 (PDT)
> Subject: Re: Handbook - ascii form??
>
> On Sun, 22 Jun 1997, Joseph Stein wrote:
>
> > >                                FFrreeeeBBSSDD HHaannddbbooookk
> >
> > which is exactly what will happen on a non-conforming printer that does
> > not understand how to interpret a 'DEL' character (ascii 008 or ^H)
>
> There aren't any ^H characters in the file, as far as I can tell.
> A hex dump shows all the duplicate letters.

Have you downloaded these files using ftp in ascii mode, by any
chance? Because the handbook.ascii I have here has all BS characters.

--
Daniel C. Sobral		  (8-DCS)
dcs@gns.com.br

No doubt Jack the Ripper excused himself
on the grounds that it was human nature.