Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 1995 01:21:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      agc@uts.amdahl.com (Alistair G. Crooks)
To:        taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw (Brian Tao)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Removeable media support

>     I found several old mailing lists messages pertaining to using a
> Syquest removeable drive and an Iomega floptical with FreeBSD.  Are
> there any quirks to their operation?  I assume I can just stick in a
> cartridge with a proper filesystem and mount it?  My Apple IIGS should
> be arriving in my hands sometime next week after clearing customs in
> Taiwan, and I'm thinking of connecting it's PLI floptical drive to the
> FreeBSD box.  No particular reason, just want to try it out.  Anyone
> else using this piece of hardware?

As an aside, I'd just like to say that I've been running a re-badged
IBM 650 MB Magneto-Optical drive under NetBSD 1.0A for the last month,
with absolutely no problems - my small 4-line "fix" to get sd to
recognise removable media has been in the sources for a while.

Quicker than tape, more robust, and neat, neat, neat...

Cheers,
Alistair
--
Alistair G. Crooks (agc@uts.amdahl.com)			   +44 125 234 6377
Amdahl European HQ, Dogmersfield Park, Hartley Wintney, Hants RG27 8TE, UK.