Date:      Mon, 8 Feb 2010 17:40:24 -0800
From:      Charlie Kester <corky1951@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I Love FreeBSD!

On Mon 08 Feb 2010 at 17:17:39 PST Chuck Robey wrote:
>Charlie Kester wrote:
>> I recently installed FreeBSD on a system based on Intel's latest Atom
>> processor -- the so-called "Mount Olive" motherboard.  According to
>> my Kill-a-Watt meter, it maxes out at 25W.  It's cheap (~$80 for the
>> motherboard) and definitely a lot of fun, but not much good as a
>> space heater.  Good thing I live in the Pacific Northwest, where we
>> enjoy such a mild climate!
>
>I got curious about 2 weeks ago, and went to the Intel web site to find out
>about that.  I saw a page what was obviously written by a marketing man, spent a
>lot of time reading how great it was, but couldn't find one word on how it
>worked or looked, logically, so I assumed it was a glorious piece of
>incompatible junk.  Am I tremendously wrong?  I did see that it was a
>low power device.

I don't know about "tremendously wrong" but I can say that mine is
running 8.0-STABLE with no apparent problems.

The only thing still needed for full compatibility is for the agp driver
to recognize the video controller built into the main chip.  But for the
time being, xorg works acceptably well with the vesa driver.

It is a dual-core machine, but at 1.66 Ghz, won't ever win any speed
competitions. My son the animator would find it unacceptably slow as a
rendering machine. I wouldn't use it as a server for anything but a
light load.  But it's more than adequate as a lightweight desktop
machine or file server for a home network.