Date:      Mon, 15 Sep 1997 04:03:00 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Scot Elliott <scot@poptart.org>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel panics when the root directory is executed

>I've been wondering why my maching hangs when I'm typing frantically and
>I discovered why the other day...  sometimes when I try to do a cd ..,
>the cd bit gets missed and I end up typing just .., which tries to
>execute that directory.  But it only does it if I've got ~/bin in my
>path.  If I type 'which ..' I get ~/bin/.. as the result.  This also
>happens if I just execute '/', ie. the root directory.  The panic that
>the kernel throws is:
>
>panic: ufs_lock : recursive lock not excepted, pid: ...

   I'm not able to reproduce this problem with 2.2-stable as of today or even
as of about 3 weeks ago. My tests were with bash-2.01, which was the only
bash-2 version I could find at the moment.

>My setup is:
>
>FreeBSD Billy.poptart.org 2.2-STABLE FreeBSD 2.2-STABLE #0: Sat Aug  2 00:17:32
>BST 1997     scot@Billy.poptart.org:/usr/src/sys/compile/IDE  i386

   Could you update your system to the latest 2.2-stable and let me know if
the problem still exists?

-DG

David Greenman