Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2000 18:26:28 +0100
From:      Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: filtering ipsec traffic

On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 18:57 +0100, Gerhard Sittig wrote:

> Am I wrong thinking that one already has these four hooks
> available?  (Sorry, I haven't toyed with IPsec yet.)
>
> [ ... ]
>
> And the way out is similar with a chain of
>   app -> enc0 -> IPsec -> tun0 -> wire

Woops, forget the above, please! :)  I must have been asleep and
was confusing this with OpenBSD.  Let me cite from their manpages
(sorry, don't have a running system around here so I will UTSL :)
-- feel free to read the online manpages at www.CC.freebsd.org in
your preferred output format).

----- ipsec(4) --------------------------------------------------
For example:
.Bd -literal -offset indent
Net A <----> Firewall 1 <--- Internet ---> Firewall 2 <----> Net B
.Ed
.Pp
Firewall 1 and Firewall 2 can protect all communications between Net A
and Net B by using
.Tn IPsec
in tunnel mode, as illustrated above.
.Pp
This implementation makes use of a virtual interface
.Nm enc0 ,
which can be used in packet filters to specify those
packets that have been or will be processed by
.Tn IPsec.

----- enc(4) ----------------------------------------------------
.Sh SYNOPSIS
.Cd "pseudo-device enc 4"
.Sh DESCRIPTION
The
.Nm
interface is a software loopback mechanism that allows hosts or
firewalls to filter
.Xr ipsec 4
traffic using
.Xr ipf 5 .
The
.Xr vpn 8
manpage shows an example of such a setup.

Maybe that's something FreeBSD wants to have, too?  I don't see a
difference in which filter gets the packet once is enters /
leaves the IPsec functionality block and feel the mention of
ipf(5) -- why 5, not 8 or 4? -- to come from the fact that it's
OpenBSD's native filter.

virtually yours   82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4  61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig   true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net