Date:      Thu, 27 May 1999 13:22:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gregory Neil Shapiro <sendmail+gshapiro@sendmail.org>
To:        jim@blues.ghis.net
Cc:        sendmail-questions@sendmail.org, isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: collect: unexpected close on connection

Jim> Can anyone tell me what would cause the following error?

Jim> May 26 14:32:51 rock sendmail[86531]: OAA86531: collect: unexpected
Jim> close on connection from cust-168-126.as02.phnx.eli.net,
Jim> sender=<mlee@fdiplan.com>: Undefined error: 0

Jim> This customer is having a hard time sending mail.. sometimes it works,
Jim> sometimes it doesn't, and that's the only thing I get in my logs.  The
Jim> error they receive on their end is..

Jim> No transport provider was available for delivery to this recipient.

Jim> I've never seen either error before, and I'm totally stumped.  I
Jim> checked the sendmail FAQ, and there was nothing there about it either.
Jim> Any ideas?

The error on their end looks like it is coming from either Outlook or
Eudora.  Some poorly written MUAs have the habit of simply dropping the
connect when the mail server returns an error.

Since your syslog shows the problem is in collect, they must have gotten as
far as the DATA phase.  It could be an MTU problem as described in the FAQ:

http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section3.html#3.10