Date:      Thu, 19 Jan 1995 10:36:58 +0100 (MET)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        jdc@crab.xinside.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com (user alias)
Subject:   Re: is it hardware?

> Christoph P. Kukulies writes:
> > I'm running the X server of Xinside, Inc.. Pretty nice server
> > but while playing with wb (whiteboard) and scrolling a picture
> > the server died and the system was doing a bus error on every
> > cc invocation during making a kernel. I rebooted and the
> > core dumps had disappeared. But I had strange characters
> > in two included files (../../sys/queue.h had a ((ead) instead
> > of (head) in a macro and some other file was in error,
> > st2uct instead of struct.

Looking at ther errors I got in files r -> 2,  h -> ( leads me to this
side calculation:
OK
hex
72 emit
72 2 base ! .
1110010
hex
32 emit
2
32 2 base ! .
110010
hex 28 emit
(
28 2 base ! .
101000
hex 68 2 base ! .
1101000

bye

and to the conclusion that bit 6 was flipped in either case. Cache?
I'll try to get my cache changed.

> Some of you may be aware that our Server is configured to send email,
> by default, with a human readable stack trace and the configuration
> file in use... We have received the email from this event.  There is

Now I'm aware, too :-) How many mails does Xinside, Inc. receive that
way daily? ;-)

> no immediately obvious reason why the Server would fail in the
> function that died.  Our first guess was that the machine might be a
> 486SX or similar no-FPU system, but that seems to be false.
>
> This leaves us with two likely candidates:
>
> +	Something to do with 'wb'
>
> +	Hey, it's just one of those strange things, y'know?
>
> Of the two, a 'wb' explanation is the preferred, since it is testable.
> Not, however, by us - until someone mails me the location of the
> programs.  I deleted the email with the locations before I read this
> mail.
>
> > So I wonder when these files got corrupted. During sup?
> > What might be the cause for such instabilities? Memory?
> > ISA bus? VL Bus?
>
> On the basis of prior experience, we found that the proportion of
> inexplicable system failures dropped significantly when we switched
> to using UPS's on all machines.  Under the category of "one of those
> strange things", count very short power supply interruptions.  I'm
> not sure about your power supply company, but in the UK and the US,
> they don't count interruptions of below a couple of seconds.  That is
> a delay long enough to cause most systems to reboot.  If shorter, you
> may simply get a bad sag.  At the other end, could you have received
> a spike in the voltage - are you near a Physics Lab, for example :-)

Though I'm in a physics lab our power is very stable (despite of some
announced outages once or twice per year) - power is very constant
in Europe anyway compared to the US due to the Energie Verbundsystem.

> Cheers, JeremyC.
> --
> Jeremy Chatfield, +1(303)470-5302, FAX:+1(303)470-5513, email:jdc@xinside.com
>         X Inside Inc, P O Box 10774, Golden, CO 80401-0610, USA.
>    Commercial X Server - for more information please try these services
> http://www.xinside.com            info@xinside.com            ftp.xinside.com

--Chris  Christoph P. U. Kukulies    kuku@gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de
FreeBSD blues 2.1.0-Development FreeBSD 2.1.0-Development #1:
Wed Jan 18 10:42:31  1995     kuku@blues:/usr/src/sys/compile/BLUES  i386