Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 1995 15:17:15 -0500
From:      Jon Loeliger <jdl@chrome.onramp.net>
To:        Ade Barkah <mbarkah@hemi.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rlogin on illegal port

Apparently, Ade Barkah scribbled:
> Hello,
>
> One of our FreeBSD 2.0.5 machines showed the following within
> the console messages:
>
> (date) (time) (hostname) rlogin [3643]: usage rlogind [-aln]
> (date) (time) (hostname) rlogin [3643]: Connection from 128.x.x.x
>                                         on illegal port
>
> What exactly does it mean and do we need to be concerned about
> this ? Seems like someone ran a probe on us or something.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> -Ade
> ps. incidently, the machine which initiated the connection looks
> like another FreeBSD machine.

OK, I'll ponder this one with you as I got this message the other day
in /var/log/messages:

    Aug 14 18:57:52 chrome named[65]: Lame delegation to 'hemi.com'
    from [128.x.x.x] (server for 'hemi.com'?) on query on name 'hemi.com'

Notice that this involves hemi.com and I too have bleeped the from addr.

I haven't got a clue in the world what this means.  To be fair, I
could easily have a *bad* DNS configuration here.  I'm working on that.

There were several such entries from different hosts.  It was during
a time period when a non-FreeBSD mailing list I'm on was experiencing
some majorly flakey problems.  I chalked it up to that.  Could this also
be due to the FreeBSD mail-list flake the other day?

jdl