Date:      Sat, 27 Jul 2002 00:14:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Z. Frazier" <zfrazier@u.washington.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   soundcard question.

i am running FreeBSD 4.5 fresh install.

I have a Sound Blaster 16 PCI.

It has worked unde3r freebsd before and i have only had this problem with
my most recent reinstallation.

no sound is available.  mixer only reports the 'rec' device:

bash-2.05a$ mixer
Mixer rec      is currently set to   0:0

i recompiled my kernel without error using:

device		pcm

and as root ran:

sh MAKEDEV snd0

in the /dev directory.

bash-2.05a$ dmesg | grep pcm
pcm0: <Creative CT5880-C> port 0xe000-0xe03f irq 12 at device 9.0 on pci0
pcm0: ac97 codec reports dac not ready

i am not sure if the ac97 line has anything to do with my problem. ?

I have used this soundcard in this pci slot without issue before, and i
have no irq conflicts:

pcm0: ac97 codec reports dac not ready
bash-2.05a$ dmesg | grep irq\ 12
pcm0: <Creative CT5880-C> port 0xe000-0xe03f irq 12 at device 9.0 on pci0

I would appreciate any help.  Please emial me directly as i am not
subscribed to this list.  and let me know if I left out any importnat
information.

thanks :)

-zach