Date:      Tue, 9 Jul 2002 19:04:24 +0100 (BST)
From:      Andrew Gordon <arg-bsd@arg1.demon.co.uk>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: cheap PCI multiport serial card for FreeBSD ?

On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> I have a remote pop where I want to moitor the UPSes that are there. I only
> have one FreeBSD box, but a number of devices in addition to the UPS that I
> would like to talk to via serial cable.  Are there any supported PCI serial
> cards that work under FreeBSD ?  I dont need high speed cards, just ones
> that would do 9600. The hardware does not take ISA cards, so it needs to be
> serial.

Have you considered using USB serial adaptors instead?  I find this makes
for more convenient plumbing in some circumstances and is not necessarily
any more expensive.

Admittedly, there is no intrinsic support for serial<->USB adaptors in
-stable, but the code I use for talking to them via UGEN can be found at
http://www.arg1.demon.co.uk/freebsd.html

The adaptors that I use can be found at
http://www.dontronics.com/usb_232.html No particular merit to these over
any other (if you can find driver support) - I just used them because I
was using the same chips in another project.