Date:      Sun, 14 Dec 1997 17:35:58 +0100 (MET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: looking for a decent Soundcard

Andreas Braukmann wrote in list.freebsd-hardware:
 > I'm just thinking of stuffing a decent sound-card into my
 > FreeBSD workstation and wondering which soundcard to choose.
 > [...]
 > To make a long story short: I'm looking for a sound-card with decent
 > quality of sound (and signals ...) supported by FreeBSD, the
 > bad (NT 4.0) and the ugly (Win95) operating system.

If you want very good sound quality at a reasonable price, you
might consider the AWE64-Gold.  It features an excellent
frequency response and S/N ratio (if you're interested in
details: there was an extensive test and comparison of various
soundcards in the c't magazine about half a year ago [see
their online index]).

Since it is compatible to the complete SB product line, it is
supported by virtually everything.  Under FreeBSD, you should
install the latest PnP patches (Luigi and Amancio did a GREAT
job with their drivers!).

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18-61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany