Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 2002 17:24:16 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@icomtek.csir.co.za>
To:        mburke@isn.net (Michael Burke)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPX tunnel through IP

> I'm looking to bridge an IPX network at a remote location to the local
> IPX network, and the only method of communication is TCP/IP. Locally, I
> have a FreeBSD server, and I intend to use one at the remote location
> too.
>
> Looking in LINT, I see:
>
> options         IPX                     #IPX/SPX communications
> protocols
> options         IPXIP                   #IPX in IP encapsulation (not
> available)
> options         IPTUNNEL                #IP in IPX encapsulation (not
> available)
>
> Which implies that that's out of the picture. However, looking in
> usr/src/sys/netipx/ I see ipx_tun.c for encapsulating IP in IPX which is
> empty and marked "not implemented", while ipx_ip.c for encapsulating IPX
> in IP seems to be fairly complete and nothing other than LINT saying
> it's not done. (this given that I am not even remotely familiar with the
> kernel or with IPX, so I'm probably way off here)
>
> Does anyone know about the status of this, or another method to do IPX
> through IP -- tun interfaces and generic tunnelling or anything? I can't
> seem to find enough info about this.

IPXIP did work years ago. I used it between two FreeBSD boxes. I haven't
used in ages though, so I don't know if it did rot with time. The "not
available" next to it is probably a lie, because I was too lazy to
document how to use it and so left that in to scare people off. :-)
If you search in the mail archives, you should find how to configure
it.

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay@icomtek.csir.co.za / jhay@FreeBSD.org