Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 2000 11:22:22 -0400
From:      "leegold" <goldtech@worldpost.com>
To:        <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   new books, changing my pt. of view

Isn't anybody worried that the new O'Reilly books in the making will leave
the newbie w/the short end of the stick paper documentation-wise? Imo, this
is the current state of affairs.

wait a second,

But upon refection, I have been realizing that I am DIRECTLY comparing WinNT
and FreeBSD and I now think it's apples vs. oranges. A fairer comparison is
FreeBSD WITH KDE vs. WinNT.

I know I'll be publicly flogged for saying this but NT is easier to learn
and is apparently an easier OS to document for the newbie ( by is very
nature and culture ) than Unix a.k.a. FreeBSD. I am primarily talking about
CLIENTS - yeah I think NT workstation is a good client. Kneejerks that it
crashes is not true Imo.

But, I'm immature:

I think I should get w/the program and start thinking of FreeBSD as a server
and NOT continue trying to configure and learning it as an ultra-stable
( x ) windows client machine - cause I'm in that "mode" and I saw the
"answer" months ago - KDE w/all the bells and whistles - truly amazing.

so, x windows works, I can use Netscape if I have to. I think I have to
explore the "core" of FreeBSD - as the ultimate internet server OS vs.
client. Whatdya think?