Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2001 01:11:18 -0500
From:      Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Omnibook 6000 sound in 4.4-RC

--==_Exmh_1164213666P

Hi,

I've been using an HP Omnibook 6000 with the Maestro3 sound driver since the
Maestro driver was a beta thingy, prolly about Nov/Dec 2000.

Sound itself works great, although it has never survived a suspend-to-ram for
me. It used to (haven't tried for a while) survive a 'standby' (albeit with a
horrible screeching until it went into power-save).

In order to get the sound working again post-resume, I had to kldunload and
then re-kldload the snd_maestro3 module, and this worked fine. I used to do
this in rc.suspend/rc.resume with some success.

In order for this to work, I had to actually stop (rather than 'pause') 'xmms'
from playing, presumably so that the device(s) weren't actually being help
open, preventing the sound device from being unloaded.

No biggie.

However, then I fell in love with the dockable mixer with the OSD, 'wmixer' -
and discovered that I had to kill the mixer, too (presumably because it held
the mixer open). Not a show-stopper, but not ideal.

Since upgrading to 4.4-RC recently, I've discovered that having opened any
mixer application (certainly gmix, wmixer, aumix) seems to cause the message
'kldunload: can't unload file: Device busy' if you subsequently try to unload
the Maestro driver.

This is /after/ closing everything that might hold the audio device open, and
'lsof' doesn't show anything audio-related as being held open by any process.

So now I can't re-set the audio device at all without a reboot. This is really
hurting my  uptimes, which are now looking more like a Win95 machine than a
FreeBSD box ;-)

To add insult to injury, since upgrading to 4.4-RC, I've noticed that the
Omnibook will no longer reboot - it hangs just before you'd expect it to reset
and display the BIOS messages, and dims the screen very, very dark, just like
it does if you suspend it in X without switching to a text console first (or
hacking 'apm' to do that for you).

In order to get around this, you either have to halt it and power-cycle it
instead of rebooting, or give it a prod in the reset when it wedges.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the audio problem? I saw a note that
re-setting the mixer values might help, but to what, exactly?

Cheers,

AS

--==_Exmh_1164213666P

--==_Exmh_1164213666P--