Date:      Thu, 3 Oct 2013 23:36:09 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 9.1 - 9.2 upgrade

On 3 October 2013, at 11:48, Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org> wrote:

>=20
> On 3 October 2013, at 10:49, Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org> wrote:
>=20
>> I just did an upgrade using freebsd-update to 9.2.  This system uses =
a custom kernel so I am rebuilding everything after the update =
completed.  However, I noticed that /usr/src/UPDATING has not been =
updated.  The first entry still says:  9.1-RELEASE.  Is this correct?
>=20
> Well, it just got worse - The last reboot now fails:  I am using a =
remote console and it shows:
>=20
> --> Press a key on the console to reboot <--
> Rebooting...
> Consoles: internal video/keyboard  serial port =20
> BIOS drive A: is disk0
> BIOS drive C: is disk1
> BIOS 639kB/2087360kB available memory
>=20
> FreeBSD/x86 bootstrap loader, Revision 1.1
> (doug@zool.lafn.org, Thu Oct  3 04:23:13 PDT 2013)
> Can't work out which disk we are booting from.
> Guessed BIOS device 0xffffffff not found by probes, defaulting to =
disk0:
>=20
> panic: free: guard1 fail @ 0x7f481ed0 from =
/usr/src/sys/boot/i386/loader/../../common/module.c:1004
> --> Press a key on the console to reboot <--
>=20
>=20
> I can enter a string as it doesn't try to reboot again till the return =
is entered.  I've tried b disk1, but it still only tries disk0.  The =
system rebooted fine after the reboot after make kernel.  Mergemaster =
didn't seem to affect anything dealing with boot.  Don't know what make =
delete-old does but the descriptions lead me to not believe it could =
cause this.  This system is on the other side of LA from me so its a =
major trip timewise.  Any ideas how this can be recovered remotely?

Booting off the live CD didn't find anything obviously wrong.  I =
replaced the kernel with the old one and still the same error.  I am =
having the drive mailed to me and will work with it here.  However, it =
appears a new install is going to be required.  The old sysinstall had =
the capability to skip over the formatting of the disk by just entering =
quit.  It would then just replace the system components and leave =
everything else alone.  I don't see any obvious way to do the same thing =
with bsdinstall.  Is there a way to do that.  I don't want to have to =
completely rebuild the drive, but just replace the system.