Date:      Wed, 16 Mar 2011 20:19:28 +0100
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de>
To:        Al Plant <noc@hdk5.net>
Cc:        Manolis Kiagias <sonicy@otenet.gr>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD CURRENT custom ISO install image: howto?

On 03/16/11 19:10, Al Plant wrote:
> O. Hartmann wrote:
>> I'm desperately looking for howto creating my own FreeBSD
>> 9.0-CURRENT/amd64 custom installation DVD. Google delivers a lot of
>> outdated stuff and I wasn't able to find some hints in the handbook,
>> so maybe one here can help.
>>
>> I've already all sources via 'svn' (no CVS) on the local box. The
>> intention is to be able to use new bsdinstall instead of sysinstall
>> for having GPT partitions.
>>
>> Please set me CC if responding.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Oliver
>>
> Aloha Oliver,
>
> On the list is Manolis Kiagias. He makes install disks possible.
>
> I also copied him on this reply. He helped me with making an install
> disk for my projects and he can most likely point you to his how to
> methods.

Hello out there.
Thank you very much.
The last time I tried making a install media from a local installation
is quite a lot of years since. I found " man release(7)" very helpful,
but at the end it turns out that I didn't understood what is happening.

I tried to fullfill all prerequisites needed to make a release, i.e.

1) having a populated /usr/src (SVN managed), I recently made a 'make
buildworld', I created  a suitable release-folder to chroot to for the
release and I issued MAKE_DVD=yes and MAKE_ISOS=yes to ensure the build
of ISO images for a DVD. I'll show the command issued at the end.

But the build-process seems to drop everything it builds into
/usr/src/release (from where the commande 'make release' has to be
issued as docuemnted in 'release (7)'.

Here's the command:

Folders /home/release and /usr/src exists, 'make buildworld' has been
issued and successfully finished. The following commands are issued
regarding the release (7) manpage:

cd /usr/src/release
make release SVNROOT=/usr/src NODOC=yes MAKE_DVD=yes MAKE_ISOS=yes\
CHROOTDIR=/home/release BUILDNAME=SOMETHING_NEW

I do not ommit TARGET_ARCH and TARGET since I do not crossbuild (I'm on
amd64).
The outcome is that the make-release process seems to flood
/usr/src/release as it never 'chroot' to the given CHROOTDIR. I'm not
familiar with this and I exepct this to be a kind of mistake. Correct me
if I'm wrong.

Regards,
Oliver