Date:      Sun, 3 Aug 1997 10:34:30 +0000
From:      "Riley J. McIntire" <mail.wilshire.net@charmed.wilshire.net>
To:        Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>, takkala@mail.highstar.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Boot problems...

> Takkala wrote:

[snip]

> > One more thing, at the point where it mounts my msdos partion, i get the
> > error,
> >
> > mountmsdosfs(): Warning: root directory is not a multiple of the
> > clustersize in length
> >
> >  I heard on #freebsd, that this has something to do with using Partion
> > Magic and/or FIPS to repartion MS-DOS drives, is taht true and how do i fix
> > it?
>
> I think only FIPS gives this problem (not sure). If you use FAT only
> occasinaly, use mtools instead of mounting the partition.
>

> > Thanks,
> > -Jari
> Nadav

I could be wrong on this so check the archives but that clustersize
warning indicates a condition that will cause data loss.  It may have
been fixed in 2.2.x  but I don't see the version number in Nadav's
reply...

It indicates that fips has shrunk the partition size of a FAT
filesystem past a cluster size boundary without reducing the
corresponding cluster size.  When mounting this partition data loss
_will_ occur during files operations.

Again, check the archives, there's been a lot of discussion on this.
Apology's if I'm mistaken, but I thought a "heads-up" was indicated.

Cheers,

Riley